Portuguese / Spanish / English

Middle East Near You

Tel-Aviv calls for EU not to receive former hunger striker

The Israeli occupation has called on the EU countries not to receive the former Palestinian hunger striker, The Prisoners Centre for Studies (PCS) said on Wednesday.

PCS said that the Israeli foreign ministry sent diplomatic letters to EU member states demanding that they do not receive the former prisoner Mahmoud al-Sarsak, who was released after a long hunger strike in Israeli jails.


According to PCS Al-Sarsak said that the Israeli foreign ministry asked the EU countries not to negotiate with him under the pretext that he is a "terrorist and a member of a disbanded terrorist organisation."

The former hunger striker went on a hunger strike for 100 days whilst in Israeli jails, to protest against being held in administrative detention.

He travelled to France last month as part of an EU tour to speak about the suffering of Palestinian prisoners. He also asked the EU to cancel the European Youth Tournament to be held in Tel-Aviv this summer.

Al-Sarsak plans to take part in solidarity activities with Palestinian prisoners in Italy and Holland this month. He is expected to deliver a speech at the 28th Melano Annual Festival.

The Palestinian football player has become a sport celebrity in Palestine and on the international scene after many international sports bodies announced solidarity with him during his hunger strike. They also sent letters to Israel demanding his release.

Categories
Middle EastNews
Show Comments
Show Comments