Portuguese / Spanish / English

Sectors of Israeli economy paralysed because of Palestinian rockets

Several sectors of the Israeli economy are suffering as a result of the on-going Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip, as Palestinians respond to Israeli lethal strikes by launching homemade rockets, targeting numerous Israeli settlements and cities.

According to Jordan's Addustour newspaper, tourism is the most impacted sector, including flights, because major Israeli airports, such as Ben Gurion, were targeted after Al-Qassam fighters sent warning messages to the international airlines.

According to the financial daily Globes, 30 per cent of the tourists who planned to visit Israel in July and August have cancelled their trips. The newspaper added that, "The remaining 70 per cent are now examining the cancelation fee policy in Israel."

Furthermore, the Israel Hotel Association reported that between 30 to 40 per cent of overseas tourists had left their hotels in Tel Aviv earlier than planned.

In southern Israel, the Hotel Association reported mass cancelations at hotels, with the occupancy rates currently at only 20-30 per cent, "consisting mostly of the security forces, Israeli and foreign media, and security company employees," Globes reported.

IsraelMiddle EastNewsPalestine
Show Comments
Writing Palestine - Celebrating the tenth year of the Palestine Book Awards - Buy your copy of the book now
Show Comments