Israel’s security cabinet on Friday rejected a proposed nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, hours after an initial framework for the deal has been announced.
“The security cabinet’s meeting has ended. The Cabinet is united in opposing the deal with Iran,” Ofir Gendelman, a spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said on Twitter on Friday.
He went on to say that Netanyahu will comment on the cabinet’s decision later on Friday.
On Thursday evening, Iran and the P5+1 group of world powers (the US, China, France, Russia, the U.K. and Germany) unveiled a preliminary framework for talks aimed at reining in Tehran’s nuclear program, scheduled to be finalized by June 30.
Following the announcement, US President Barack Obama hailed the negotiations with Iran as “historic”.
Netanyahu has repeatedly voiced strong rejection of Iran’s nuclear deal, claiming that his country would be harmed by the agreement.
“The agreement with Iran will not only endanger Israel, but also the region and the entire world,” Netanyahu said in statement earlier this week.
The Israeli premier also called on the West to strike a “better” deal with Iran, which would significantly roll back Iran’s nuclear infrastructure and stop its “hostile” activities and threats against Israel.
Western powers, fearing Iran is developing nuclear weapons, want Iran’s nuclear program curbed in return for lifting international sanctions.
Tehran, for its part, insists that its nuclear program is intended solely for peaceful purposes.
The P5+1 wants Iran to accept limits on its uranium enrichment capacity and allow the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency to inspect its nuclear sites without interference.