Portuguese / Spanish / English

UAE court begins mass terror trial

The State Security court in Abu Dhabi on Monday began a mass trial of 41 men of various nationalities, including Emiratis, on charges of setting up a "terrorist organisation" to overthrow the government and establish a so-called "caliphate".

UAE's WAM news agency said the hearing was devoted to procedural measures, including the appointment of lawyers.

The judge then adjourned the trial to 28 September.

Earlier this month, UAE's Attorney General Salem Saeed Kubaish accused the defendants of plotting attacks aimed at trying to "seize power and establish a caliphate".

"The defendants were charged with setting up and running a terrorist organisation named Shabab Al-Manarah ["The Minaret Youths"]," Kubaish said. "They uphold terrorist thought with the intent to commit terrorist acts inside the country and endanger its security and peace and lives of its people, including its leaders."

According to Kubaish, the suspects were also charged with intending to damage private and public property in their attempt to establish a caliphate.

"To carry out their terrorist acts the suspects procured firearms, ammunition and explosives, using funds they collected for this purpose, and got in touch with foreign terrorist organisations and groups. These groups provided the suspects with funds and people to achieve their goals inside the country," he added.

The attorney general pointed out that the group formed committees to recruit young Emiratis, and planned to train them on how to use firearms, carry out attacks using explosives and how to record audio and video messages to promote their ideas online.

At the time of issue, the statement gave no further details about the defendants' nationalities, when they were arrested or the date of their trial.

Categories
Middle EastNewsUAE
Show Comments
Writing Palestine - Celebrating the tenth year of the Palestine Book Awards - Buy your copy of the book now
Show Comments