The United Nations envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed yesterday called on the Yemeni parties to take advantage of the “historic opportunity” they find themselves in and resume peace talks in Kuwait.
“Yemen is currently seeing unprecedented international support and we hope the parties take advantage of this historic opportunity,” Ould Cheikh said.
The UN envoy said he had met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the Emir of Qatar Tamim Bin Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani and Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi on the sidelines of the 16th Doha Forum.
“President Hadi stressed during the meeting that the government delegation will return to the talks in Kuwait and will exert maximum efforts to reach a comprehensive political solution.”
The UN envoy is scheduled to return to Kuwait accompanied by Yemeni Foreign Minister and the head of the government delegation, Abdulmalik Al-Mekhlafi, to resume the stalled talks.
Al-Mekhlafi announced earlier on Saturday that the government delegation will resume its participation in the talks after receiving regional and international guarantees. It had withdrawn from the talks on Tuesday.