The Governor of Anbar Suhaib al-Rawi said on Monday that a commission of inquiry has found sufficient evidence that members of the Iraqi Shia militia backing government troops in the battle to retake Fallujah were involved in the killing of 49 civilians and the disappearance of 643 others.
Al-Rawi told reporters in Baghdad that Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi had ordered the forming of the commission to investigate allegations of murder and other violations against civilians in Saqlawiyah area, 10 kilometres north of Fallujah, earlier this month.
“The commission has concluded that 49 civilians were killed after they surrendered themselves to pro- government Shia militia, including three bodies of unknown identity,” he said.
According to Al- Rawi, 643 people who had also surrendered themselves to pro- government Shia troops were still missing.
Hundreds of detainees released by the militia have been subjected to severe torture by various means, as well as mistreatment, he added.