Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Al-Jarallah said on Monday that Kuwait is ready to host Yemeni peace talks if "a final formula [exists] to end the ongoing crisis," Kuna has reported. He added that the Gulf State is committed to sorting out the situation in Yemen as it hosted peace talks for three months between 21 April and 6 August last year.
Al-Jarallah's remarks coincided with moves by the UN Envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Sheikh Ahmed, to resume discussions among the Yemeni parties to the conflict. He announced on Sunday that the UN is discussing a proposal for a ceasefire during the holy month of Ramadhan, which would be grounds for peace talks. He also warned of the international division regarding the prospective solution for Yemen.
The envoy is scheduled to meet a delegation from the Houthis and their ally, former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, in addition to Omani officials, in Muscat to discuss the ceasefire before Ramadhan, Anadolu reported, citing informed sources.
Yemeni officials are said to be talking about modifications to the UN peace plan. They noted that it would call for the initial withdrawal of the Houthis from Hudaida after it was stipulated in the original plan that they had to withdraw from Sanaa first.