Creating new perspectives since 2009

PRCS: 1,090 Palestinians injured by Israeli forces over course of 10 days

July 24, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Palestinian paramedics carry a man injured during clashes between demonstrators and Israeli security forces as the demonstrators protest against the Israeli restrictions on the Al-Aqsa Compound, at the Qalandiya checkpoint, between Ramallah and Jerusalem, in Ramallah, West Bank, on July 23, 2017. Israeli Government restricted entrance of under 50-year-old Palestinians to the the Al-Aqsa Mosque Compound and assembled metal detector gates. Qalandiya military checkpoint, located between East Jerusalem and West Bank. ( Issam Rimawi – Anadolu Agency )

Seven Palestinians have been killed and 1,090 injured in the first ten days of unrest following the closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque on 14 July, figures released by the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) showed today.

This evening, a Palestinian was shot in the head during clashes in the Jerusalem-area town of Hizma, with the Palestinian Ministry of Health reporting him to be in critical condition.

According to the group, approximately 1,090 Palestinians had been injured since Israeli authorities installed metal detectors, turnstiles and additional security cameras in the Al-Aqsa compound.

Read: UN warns of escalation if no Al-Aqsa solution by Friday

Statistics from the group showed that 29 Palestinians were injured, some seriously, with live bullets, 374 were injured with rubber-coated steel bullets, 471 suffered from tear gas inhalation – including 34 who were hospitalised – 216 were “physically assaulted, burned and run over” during clashes with Israeli forces.

Some 376 of the injuries documented occurred in Jerusalem, with one Jerusalemite injured with live fire, 193 Jerusalemites injured with rubber-coated steel bullets, 14 suffering from severe tear gas inhalation, and 168 who were “assaulted and run over.

According to Ma’an documentation, seven Palestinians have died since July 14, with four killed during clashes with Israeli forces. The four were identified as 18-year-old Muhammad Mahmoud Sharaf, 20-year-old Muhammad Hassan Abu Ghannam, 17-year-old Muhammad Mahmoud Khalaf Lafi, and 24-year-old Yousif Abbas Kashur.