Creating new perspectives since 2009

Israel says it has destroyed a 'significant' Hamas tunnel from Gaza

December 10, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Israeli forces on Sunday destroyed a “significant” cross-border attack tunnel from the Gaza Strip, which the military said was being dug by Hamas.

The announcement, cleared by Israeli censors who had previously barred reports of detection work around the central Gaza frontier, followed a surge of Palestinian unrest in response to last week’s US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

It also came as Palestinian factions tried to meet Sunday’s deadline for an Egyptian-mediated handover of Gaza by Hamas to Western-backed President Mahmoud Abbas after a decade’s schism.

A network of Gaza tunnels allowed Hamas to blindside Israel’s superior forces during the 2014 war and the Israelis, with US help, have since stepped up work on counter-measures.

The tunnel destroyed on Sunday ran hundreds of metres into Israeli territory and, though unfinished, was a new project that showed “a significant effort by Hamas”, military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Jonathan Conricus told reporters.

Read: Israel military drills on the borders of Gaza Strip

He did not elaborate on how Israel knew Hamas was responsible for the tunnel, which he said reached to within 1km (0.6 miles) of the nearest Israeli civilian community.

Hamas did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

The previous such announcement was on October 30, when Israel blew up a tunnel dug by Islamic Jihad. In the process of that demolition, 10 members from the group and another two from Hamas were killed – deaths that Israeli sources described as an unintended result of the passage’s collapse within Gazan turf.

Conricus said that “to the best of our knowledge” there were no such casualties on Sunday, though he added that the tunnels could be “death traps” for Gaza gunmen.

“The IDF (Israel Defence Forces) will continue to discover, expose and demolish these terror tunnels,” he said.

Read: Israel deploys anti-rocket batteries amid high alert