Portuguese / Spanish / English

US General: We will be able to respond effectively to Iran

Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, the then Joint Staff director, briefs the press at the Pentagon in Washington, DC, on November 16, 2017 [US DOD / Dominique A. Pineiro]
US Central Command chief General Kenneth McKenzie, the then Joint Staff director, briefs the press at the Pentagon in Washington, DC, on November 16, 2017 [US DOD / Dominique A. Pineiro]

US Central Command chief General Kenneth McKenzie said on Saturday the United States would deploy the necessary resources to counter any dangerous actions by Iran, Sky News Arabia and Reuters reported.

"We're gonna continue to reach out to our partners and friends in the region to ensure that we make common cause against the threat of Iran," McKenzie, on an official visit to the Gulf region, was quoted as saying by Sky News Arabia.

"I believe we'll have the resources necessary to deter Iran from taking actions that will be dangerous," he said, according to a transcript released by the Abu Dhabi-based channel. "We will be able to respond effectively."

Tensions between Tehran and Washington have risen since the Trump administration last year withdrew from an international nuclear deal with Iran and began ratcheting up sanctions.

Earlier this month, the United States blacklisted Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards. In response, Iran added US Central Command on its list of terrorist groups.

Read: Iran's Zarif warns US of 'consequences' over oil sanctions, Strait of Hormuz

Washington on Monday demanded buyers of Iranian oil stop purchases by May or face sanctions, ending six months of waivers which allowed Iran's eight biggest buyers, most of them in Asia, to continue importing limited volumes.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and some senior military commanders have threatened to disrupt oil shipments from Gulf countries if Washington tries to strangle Tehran oil exports.

McKenzie also said a reduction of US troops in Syria would be done cautiously, saying:

On the long term, we're gonna reduce our forces in Syria, we recognise that, that's the guidance in which we are operating. That will be something that we will look at very carefully as we go forward

President Donald Trump had ordered the withdrawal of US troops Syria in December after he said they had defeated Daesh militants in Syria. In February, a senior administration official said the United States will leave about 400 US troops split between two different regions of Syria.

McKenzie also said he was confident that the US is going to have "a long term presence in Iraq, focused on the counter-terror mission."

Categories
Asia & AmericasIranMiddle EastNewsUS
Show Comments
Writing Palestine - Celebrating the tenth year of the Palestine Book Awards - Buy your copy of the book now
Show Comments