A poisonous ammonia gas leak was reported at a soft drinks plant located in Haifa Bay, Press TV reported on Friday.
Ammonia is used as refrigerant gas and in the fertiliser industry. It is both explosive and highly toxic. High concentrations of ammonia in the air can cause blindness, lung damage and even death.
Employees of the Coca-Cola bottling plant in Haifa Bay, northwest Israel, were evacuated on Thursday following the ammonia gas leak, Israel media reported.
Russian Sputnik reported that the incident took place on Thursday evening, with firefighters arriving at the scene and proceeding to neutralise the gas using remote sealing systems. No fatalities were reported.
Firefighters also carried out monitoring of the area around the plant to ensure safety to the local environment.