A 3-day Arab summit in Jordan’s port city of Aqaba warned against Israel’s reoccupation of parts of the Gaza Strip.
The summit brought together Jordan’s King Abdullah II, Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi and Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas.
The three leaders called “for pushing to stop the Israeli aggression on Gaza and for protecting the defenceless civilians,” Jordan’s Royal Court said in a statement.
They warned against “attempts to reoccupy parts of the Gaza Strip or establish safe zones inside the Territory” and called for enabling Gazans to return to their homes, the statement said.
The leaders also reiterated their rejection of any Israeli plans to forcibly displace Palestinians from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
They also rejected “all attempts to liquidate the Palestinian issue, and to separate Gaza and the West Bank, which constitute an extension of the Palestinian State.”
The Arab leaders underlined the need to deliver sustainable and sufficient humanitarian aid to Gaza’s population to alleviate the tragic humanitarian conditions in the enclave.
Israel has pounded the Palestinian enclave since a cross-border attack by the Palestinian group Hamas on Oct. 7, killing at least 23,357 Palestinians, mostly women and children, and injuring 59,410 others, according to local health authorities. Around 1,200 Israelis believed to have been killed in the Hamas offensive.
However, since then, it has been revealed by Haaretz that helicopters and tanks of the Israeli army had, in fact, killed many of the 1,139 soldiers and civilians claimed by Israel to have been killed by the Palestinian Resistance.
About 85 per cent of Gazans have been displaced, while all of them are food insecure, according to the UN. Hundreds of thousands of people are living without shelter and less than half of aid trucks are entering the Territory before the start of the conflict.