clear

Creating new perspectives since 2009

Araghchi: Iran rejects ceasefire and demands a complete end to the war

August 19, 2026 at 10:43 am

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi gives a speech in Baghdad, Iraq, on June 28, 2026. [Murtadha AL-Sudani – Anadolu Agency]

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran had told mediators that it would not accept a temporary ceasefire, stressing that what was needed was a complete and lasting end to the war.

Araghchi said contacts with mediators were continuing, but Tehran distinguished between exchanging messages through mediators and entering into direct negotiations. He had previously said that Iran was not currently holding direct talks with the United States and that resuming negotiations was subject to Iranian conditions.

Araghchi’s remarks come as disagreements continue between Tehran and Washington over the nature of previous understandings. Iran insists that what took place was an “end to the war, not a ceasefire”, and is demanding guarantees to prevent military operations from resuming.