clear

Creating new perspectives since 2009

Hamas warns Gaza ceasefire deal could collapse, holds mediators responsible for restraining Israel

August 20, 2026 at 8:19 am

Newly elected Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya [Screengrab/AA]

Hamas political bureau chief Khalil al-Hayya has warned that Israel’s escalation in the Gaza Strip could undermine the ceasefire agreement, holding the mediators and guarantors responsible for stopping the escalation and preventing the deal from collapsing.

In a statement received by Quds Press on Wednesday, al-Hayya condemned what he described as “ongoing crimes and deliberate killings” by Israel, which he said had intensified since Tuesday and on Wednesday targeted senior Palestinian police officers.

He said the attacks showed that Israel was continuing its “criminal policy” and was disregarding all mediation efforts and guarantees, adding that their continuation placed the mediators and guarantors under a “major and decisive responsibility”.

READ: US envoy urges Netanyahu to ‘not create obstacles’ in Gaza peace plan: Report

Al-Hayya called on the mediators and guarantors to act to compel Israel to stop its attacks and work to protect the ceasefire agreement from collapse.

Earlier on Wednesday, Gaza’s Interior Ministry said eight of its officers and a displaced girl had been killed in an Israeli air strike on a police station in central Gaza City.

The attack was the second Israeli military strike in Gaza in 24 hours. On Tuesday, seven Palestinians, including a child, were killed and 14 others injured in an Israeli drone strike on a crowded cafe inside the Fishermen’s Port west of Gaza City.

READ: Kushner signals US support for Israeli operations in Gaza if Hamas refuses to disarm