US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee said Washington could consider sanctions against Israeli settlers involved in violence against Palestinian families in the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, if they are found responsible for criminal acts.
Speaking to Reuters on Thursday, Huckabee said those responsible should face accountability, following days of tensions in Qusra, south of Nablus, where settlers had surrounded several Palestinian homes. One of the affected properties belongs to Palestinian-American Luay Ridi.
Huckabee had previously strongly condemned the settlers involved, describing them as “Israeli terrorists” and their actions as intended to intimidate and harass Palestinian residents. He also said the US Embassy had been directly involved in efforts to resolve the situation.
The ambassador said Washington was “shocked” by events in Qusra and characterized the treatment of the affected families as criminal and unacceptable.
Huckabee also stressed that taking another person’s land or home could not be justified, saying that forcing families from property that legally belongs to them violates both the law and fundamental moral principles.
According to Palestinian reports, the confrontation began on 9th August, when settlers blocked access to three Palestinian homes and erected a tent nearby. Residents said their water and electricity supplies were disrupted and that members of the families faced restrictions on entering and leaving the area.
The Israeli military subsequently intervened, although tensions remained amid concerns among residents that settlers could return.
Huckabee’s comments signal the possibility of punitive US measures against individuals found responsible, although he did not announce specific sanctions or indicate that a formal decision had been taken.







