Portuguese / Spanish / English

Russia: Contact with US ongoing over Idlib

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is seen during the Valdai Discussion Club titled ''Russia in the Middle East: Playing on All Fields'' in Moscow, Russia on 19 February, 2018 [Sefa Karacan/Anadolu Agency]
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow, Russia on 19 February, 2018 [Sefa Karacan/Anadolu Agency]

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that his country continues to communicate with the United States with regard to the situation in Syria's Idlib amid fears that the Syrian regime will escalate its raids on the province, Reuters reported yesterday.

The Syrian province is the last remaining opposition stronghold in the country with many fearing President Bashar Al-Assad will use heavy-handed tactics to regain control of the region as he did in Aleppo and East Ghouta.

Russia's RIA news agency had reported earlier on Wednesday that Moscow is discussing the situation in Idlib and Afrin with Iran and Turkey, and also with the Syrian regime and opposition.

The Russian Defence Minister Sergey Shoygu said on Tuesday that talks are being arranged between opposition leaders and sheikhs in Idlib with the aim of reaching a peaceful settlement to the Syrian crisis.

Read: Millions in Syria's Idlib await Assad regime offensive

Categories
Asia & AmericasEurope & RussiaMiddle EastNewsRussiaSyriaUS
Show Comments
Writing Palestine - Celebrating the tenth year of the Palestine Book Awards - Buy your copy of the book now
Show Comments