Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced yesterday morning that 3,000 Daesh fighters had surrendered in the town of Al-Baghuz over a 24-hour period.
Mustafa Bali, SDF spokesperson and director of media relations, said: “Within 24 hours, 3,000 terrorists have surrendered to our forces in Al-Baghuz.” He stressed: “The battle is still ongoing and we are closer than ever to a decisive victory.”
Since Sunday night, the SDF and Kurdish factions, backed by the international coalition, have been carrying attacks on the besieged Al-Baghuz, in preparation for the elimination of the remaining Daesh fighters.
Bali posted on Twitter: “As the Syrian Democratic Forces are still carrying out their latest attack on the remainder of the so-called caliphate, the jihadists have been surrendering in a collective manner.”
A spokesman for the SDF campaign in the area of Deir ez-Zor, Adnan Afrin, previously told AFP that 2,0000 people surrendered on Tuesday, the majority of whom were Daesh fighters.