Portuguese / Spanish / English

Middle East Near You

Yemen's Houthis release US nationals

Supporters of Houthis participate in march on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of Houthis' control of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on 21, 2019. [Mohammed Hamoud - Anadolu Agency]
Houthis in Sanaa, Yemen on 21 September 2019 [Mohammed Hamoud/Anadolu Agency]

Authorities in Yemen’s Sanaa have released US nationals at the request of Oman, Omani state media reported late on Wednesday, without giving any more details, Reuters reports.

“Under the directions of Sultan Haitham bin Tariq, the relevant authorities in the Sultanate contacted authorities in Sanaa which agreed to release the Americans and to transfer them to the Sultanate before heading home,” Oman state TV said.

The United States welcomed the release of two US citizens, Sandra Loli and Mikael Gidada, from Houthi custody and said the remains of Bilal Fateen would also be repatriated, according to a statement by US National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien.

Oman sent two flights to Sanaa which also carried back 250 Yemenis who had been receiving treatment in the Gulf state and abroad, the Oman report said.

Report: Houthi-controlled courts issued 200 death sentences since 2017 

Categories
Asia & AmericasMiddle EastNewsUSYemen
Show Comments
Show Comments