Israeli airstrikes on the besieged Gaza Strip have destroyed five more mosques, bringing the total number to 31 since 7 October, the Gaza-based Endowments and Religious Affairs Ministry said.
The number of mosques completely destroyed since the beginning of Israel’s attacks on Gaza has increased to 31
The ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
On Saturday, it also highlighted the Israeli bombardment of several civilian sites such as the ministry’s headquarters, the ministry’s Quran radio station and a church.
It said that 10 employees from the ministry lost their lives in these attacks, and others had been injured.
The conflict in Gaza, under Israeli bombardment and blockade began when Hamas initiated Operation Al-Aqsa Flood, a multi-pronged surprise attack that included a barrage of rocket launches and infiltrations into Israel by land, sea, and air. It said the incursion was in retaliation for the storming of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and growing violence by Israeli settlers.
The Israeli military then launched Operation Swords of Iron against Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip.
At least 4,385 Palestinians, including 1,756 children and 1,000 women have been killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza, while the figure stands at more than 1,400 people in Israel.
On Saturday, a humanitarian aid convoy began entering the Gaza Strip from Egypt. It was the first aid delivery to Gaza since armed conflict broke out between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas on 7 October.
Gaza is experiencing a dire humanitarian crisis, with no electricity, while water, food, fuel, and medical supplies are running out.