Travel is one of the best ways to discover new foods and flavour combinations; I love to taste local dishes wherever I go. One of my favourite things to do is recreate a dish I've tasted while abroad and let the new flavours inspire me to create something new.
Turkish sausage is an amazing ingredient because it has so much flavour and elevates any dish it is added to. It is very similar to Spanish chorizo, as they both are full of smoky paprika and some heat. This is the perfect accompaniment to a milder protein, such as chicken. The addition of citrus and thyme freshens up the dish while the potatoes make this a balanced meal.
The best part is that all of these ingredients can be thrown into a tray, even in advance if you like, and left to cook on their own. I like to make this for friends as you can make a large amount of food in so little time and with minimal effort, leaving you free to socialise with your guests rather than slaving away over a hot stove.
- 4 whole chicken legs (drumstick and thigh separated)
- 4-5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1kg potatoes
- 2 medium red onions
- 300g Turkish sausage
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. mixed Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
1. Place the chicken in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put aside.
2. Cut the potatoes into cubes, the onions into slices and the sausage into medium sized chunks. Make sure you remove the casings from the sausage. Place in a baking tray, making sure they are evenly distributed. Add the zest of the orange and lemon, and squeeze the juice of the lemon over everything. Chop the fresh thyme and sprinkle it, along with the Italian herbs over the ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, making sure everything is evenly coated. Keep the orange for serving.
3. Bake at 200C for 45 minutes, or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through. If the skin isn't crispy enough, you can put it under the broiler for a few minutes.
4. Serve with salad and a squeeze of the orange. Enjoy!