Egyptian authorities are deliberately trying to kill former presidential candidate Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh by failing to improve the conditions of his imprisonment, his son has warned.
Aboul Fotouh is suffering from the deterioration of his health as a result of his incarceration. He is being held on charges of “publishing false news to harm Egypt’s national interests” and membership in an illegal group, in reference to the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood. He strongly denies all the accusations.
His son said in a Facebook post on Saturday, following a visit to his father in detention, that “there is no improvement in the prison’s conditions or [my father’s] health, and the request to transfer him to a hospital continues to be rejected.”
Aboul Fotouh is being held in solitary confinement and has been put on the country’s terror list, allowing authorities to freeze his assets and ban him from travel should he be released.
Still in solitary confinement. Still isolated from the world. The authorities continue to deliberately attempt to kill him, torture him and violate the law and the constitution
his son said.
The former presidential candidate’s arrest in February came weeks ahead of the presidential election that saw President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi win 96 per cent of the votes.
He was arrested after appeared in an interview on the Qatar-owned Al Jazeera news channel and this was put forward as one of the charges against him. In response, Aboul Fotouh said it was his right to speak on any platform he deemed necessary as long as he was not inciting hatred.
Aboul Fotouh ran in the 2012 presidential election, the first election to be held after the 2011 Revolution that toppled long-serving dictator Hosni Mubarak. He has previously been detained by the Mubarak regime.