Portuguese / Spanish / English

Middle East Near You

Saudi Arabia, Qatar ban arrivals from Iraq, Syria, Lebanon

People wait ahead of their flights at Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar on June 12, 2017. [Ahmed Youssef Elsayed Abdelrehim - Anadolu Agency]
People wait ahead of their flights at Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar on June 12, 2017.[Ahmed Youssef Elsayed Abdelrehim - Anadolu Agency]

Saudi Arabia has temporarily suspended travel to and from nine coronavirus affected countries including the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, according to an official source in the Interior Ministry.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry said in a post on its official Twitter account that the countries impacted by the kingdom’s latest travel restrictions include the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Lebanon, Syria, South Korea, Egypt, Italy and Iraq.

As part of measures to slow down the spread of the novel coronavirus, all flights and naval trips between the kingdom and the countries will also be suspended, not including evacuations and trade trips.

Moreover, Saudi authorities announced that they would impose a fine of up to $133,000 on those who do not declare correct health-related information at entry points.

The kingdom’s health ministry also reported four new coronavirus cases today, bringing the total of registered cases to 15.

READ: Israel closes Egypt borders amid coronavirus fears

Qatar has taken similar measures, barred travellers from 14 countries from today as a precaution against the rapidly spreading coronavirus, the government announced yesterday.

The 14 countries are China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand.

In a statement reported by the state-run Qatar News Agency, the government said the suspension will be put in place “until further notice”.

The move came a day after the health ministry confirmed three more cases of the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 15.

The latest patients were all foreign residents and had been placed in complete isolation, the ministry said.

“All those who were sharing the accommodation were subjected to quarantine, including all people who came in contact with the patients, to make sure they are healthy and that no infection was transmitted to them,” it added.

READ: Saudi Arabia locks down Qatif region as coronavirus cases rise in Gulf

Categories
Asia & AmericasChinaIranIraqLebanonMiddle EastNewsQatarSaudi ArabiaSouth KoreaSyria
Show Comments
Show Comments