Portuguese / Spanish / English

Qatar upholds conviction of former 2022 World Cup employee

Hundreds of people take a photo as the official logo of the 'FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022' is reflected on a wall in Doha, Qatar on 3 September 2019 [Mohammed Dabbous/Anadolu Agency]
Hundreds of people take a photo as the official logo of the 'FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022' is reflected on a wall in Doha, Qatar on 3 September 2019 [Mohammed Dabbous/Anadolu Agency]

Qatar's court of appeal, on Wednesday, upheld a conviction for bribery and misuse of funds against a former employee of the 2022 Football World Cup organising committee, but reduced his jail sentence to three years from five, his lawyers said, and reported by Reuters.

Abdullah Ibhais, who was arrested in 2019 and sentenced in April to five years imprisonment, has said he is being singled out for speaking up for migrant workers in the Gulf Arab state, an assertion echoed by human rights groups.

Qatar's hosting of the 2022 World Cup has come under scrutiny for the gas-rich state's treatment of migrant workers. The country's tournament organising Supreme Committee said Ibhais' allegation that the case and his criticisms were linked was "absolutely false".

READ: 3,000 Turkish police will help secure World Cup in Qatar

A Qatari official said the case had examined strong and credible evidence against Ibhais for soliciting bribes to influence the outcome of a state-funded procurement process.

"Misappropriation of state funds is a serious crime in Qatar, and this is reflected in the court's decision," the Qatari official said.

No further details were available about Wednesday's ruling, which Ibhais can challenge on appeal.

Ibhais, a Jordanian national, was not in court on Wednesday when the judge sentenced him to three years in prison, replacing the previous five year sentence.

Ibhais had been a Communications Director for the World Cup tournament organisers, the Supreme Committee for Legacy and Delivery. In November 2019, he was arrested and charged with bribery and misuse of funds and, in April 2021, sentenced to five years in jail. He was released pending appeal against his conviction but was detained again on 15 November.

READ: Qatar begins countdown to FIFA World Cup 2022

He told Human Rights Watch and FairSquare that Qatari authorities coerced him into confessing, and his prosecution was linked to his internal criticism of the handling of a 2019 workers strike.

"Every day Abdullah Ibhais remains in jail, more people will know his name, know what he did for the migrant workers who built Qatar's World Cup, and know the price he has apparently paid for that," said Nicholas McGeehan, co-director of Britain-based rights group, FairSquare.

Ibhais has been on hunger strike since he was detained on 15 November, his family told Reuters.

World football body, FIFA, said any person deserved a fair trial that observed and respected due process. It would consider Wednesday's ruling before making any further comment.

Categories
FIFAInternational OrganisationsMiddle EastNewsQatar
Show Comments
Writing Palestine - Celebrating the tenth year of the Palestine Book Awards - Buy your copy of the book now
Show Comments