Citing what it described as an official source, the Egyptian newspaper, Al-Dustour, has published an account of how the Palestinian Authority colluded with the Egyptian media in the propaganda campaign against Hamas.
According to the source, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas himself followed up the ‘cooperation’ efforts as he submitted fake written documents that showed that Hamas and its military wing, Izzedine Al-Qassam brigades, were responsible for the unrest in Sinai.
The source told the Egyptian newspaper, that the documents showed that Al-Qassam Brigades supported the former president, Mohamed Morsi and his supporters at the Rabaa Al-Adawiyya Square.
He said that they also showed that Al-Qassam Brigades were responsible for the “terrorist” attacks in the Sinai. He told the newspaper that the aim of this was to harm Egyptian national security.
On Saturday, Hamas announced that they had hundreds of documents that proved that Fatah and the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah, headed by Abbas, were involved in the propaganda campaign carried out by the Egyptian media.
Hamas spokesman, Salah al-Bardaweel, told the Palestinian newspaper Al-Resalah, that his movement recognised the source of the propaganda, how it had been plotted and how it had been handed to the Egyptian media.
He said that the big surprise was that Abbas himself was “the head of the campaign (and was) assisted by his top aide Tayyip Abdul-Rahim and chief of intelligence services in the West Bank, Majed Faraj.”
Al-Bardaweel added, “they have a base in Cairo led by Jawad al-Harazeen, Basheer abu-Hatab, Ahmed Doghmosh and the Palestinian Authority ambassador to Cairo, Barakat al-Farrah. They are supported by an army of journalists from the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.”
A Hamas spokesman confirmed that it was a “pre-prepared campaign and we [Hamas] still have hundreds of documents besides the dangerous one we have released.”
He added, “Abbas’ visit to Cairo comes within the context of plotting accusations that Hamas were responsible for the death of 15 Egyptian soldiers killed in Sinai last year.”