A diplomatic source told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Sunday that the tripartite meeting held on Saturday night in Riyadh between Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar came in the wake of a Saudi request from the Gulf Cooperation Council to “condemn the actions of Qatar” in Egypt and Yemen. The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Saudi Arabia is “very irritated by the policy of Qatar in Egypt” and Yemen.
The same source said that the Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, tried to mediate between the two countries in order not to lose the annual summit that will gather the leaders of the six GCC states in his country next month. He noted that last week, during visits by Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal to some Arab Gulf capitals, Riyadh made its request that the GCC issue a statement condemning the actions of Qatar in Egypt and Yemen. Al-Faisal carried messages from King Abdullah to the leaders of four Gulf States: Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain.
During the Riyadh meeting, the Saudi monarch, the Emir of Kuwait and the Emir of Qatar reviewed issues of mutual concern as well as cooperation among GCC states.
Commenting on the situation, one European diplomat told AFP that Saudi-Qatari relations are extremely tense as a result of Doha’s policies towards post-coup Egypt. The small Gulf state has been the main supporter of ousted President Mohammed Morsi, and has expressed concerns about his overthrow amid fears that an Algerian scenario may be repeated in Egypt.