Portuguese / Spanish / English

Middle East Near You

21 dead, 290 injured in Yemen’s Aden

UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) forces [IlhameLouisaMar/Twitter]
UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) forces [IlhameLouisaMar/Twitter]

Some 21 Yemenis have been killed and 290 injured in two days of clashes between UAE-backed forces and the Yemen national army in Aden, Yemen Today reported.

The majority of the injured have been transferred to hospitals in Aden and Doctors Without Borders hospitals for the fatally injured, Dr Jalal Baouda, representative of the Ministry of Health and Population, told the news site.

Internationally recognised Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi’s national army clashed with the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) forces when they attempted to enter the southern city on Sunday.

Tensions in south Yemen began last week when the STC vowed to overthrow the government of Prime Minister Ahmed Bin Dhager unless Hadi dismissed the cabinet in the south by Sunday. Hadi did not give in to the calls and placed a ban on all protests in Aden ahead of the separatist deadline.

Bin Dhager is currently overwhelmed militarily by the STC which has reportedly taken over Aden city and confined Hadi’s government ministers to the Maasheeq Palace.

Read: Retired Saudi general says Hadi should head federal government in Yemen

Categories
Middle EastNewsUAEYemen
Show Comments
Show Comments