Portuguese / Spanish / English

Middle East Near You

Russia’s Lavrov rejects calls for ceasefire in Syria’s Idlib 

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov makes a speech during the 56th Munich Security Conference at Bayerischer Hof Hotel in Munich, Germany on February 15, 2020. [Abdulhamid Hoşbaş/Anadolu Agency]
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Munich, Germany on 15 February 2020 [Abdulhamid Hoşbaş/Anadolu Agency]

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov yesterday rejected calls to stop the Russia-backed Syrian regime’s offensive on Idlib, northwestern Syria, saying a ceasefire would amount to giving in to terrorists.

He told the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva that a halt in the offensive “is capitulating before terrorists and even a reward for their activities in violation of international treaties and numerous UN Security Council resolutions.”

Lavrov accused some governments of wanting “to justify outrageous acts committed by radical and terrorist groupings. Otherwise, it would be difficult to explain admonishments about the possibility of concluding peace agreements with bandits,” he said, referring to the situation in Idlib.

Syria’s Idlib: 148,000 civilians displaced in the past six days

The offensive launched by the Syrian regime and its ally, Russia, against armed opposition groups backed by Turkey in the Syrian governorate of Idlib since December last year has led to the displacement of 900,000 people.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said earlier that he plans to hold a summit on 5 March with the leaders of Russia, France and Germany on the escalating conflict in Syria. However, he announced yesterday that there was no “full agreement” on holding the meeting.

Categories
Europe & RussiaGermanyMiddle EastNewsRussiaSyriaTurkey
Show Comments
Show Comments