The United Stated announced on Tuesday that it would not hold back from carrying out “direct action” on the ground against Daesh in Iraq and Syria if necessary, Anadolu reported.
“We will not hold back from supporting capable partners in opportunistic attacks against Daesh, or conducting such missions directly whether by strikes from the air or direct action on the ground,” US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said.
Carter was giving his testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee in US Congress. He said that the operations of the US army in the current stage are concentrated on three areas: Raqa in Syria, Ramadi in Iraq and targeted attacks.
Regarding the targeted attacks, he referred to last week’s attempted rescue operation of Daesh hostages in coordination with Kurdish forces in northern Iraq.
The American administration has always stressed that it would never again engage in ground operation in the region, but American media questioned officials and recognised that there are “limited” missions on the ground.
The Deputy Press Secretary of the White House, Eric Schultz, said on Tuesday the administration has “no intention of long term ground combat” He did, however, confirm that US forces would continue to train, advise and assist in the region.