The Naqab is located in southern Palestine and forms nearly two-thirds of its area, which amounts to 12 million dunams. It extends from the village of Al-Faluja, near Hebron from the north, to Umm Rashrash Palestine and Aqaba in the south.
The Palestinian population in the Naqab before the Nakba year was about 110,000. Nearly 90 per cent were expelled in 1948 to Jordan and Palestine, and only 10,000 were left. Today, the population is about 200,000.
The views expressed in this article belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of Middle East Monitor.