Spokesperson of the US Department of State Jen Psaki said on Tuesday that her country objects to the Palestinian Authority's efforts to try Israel at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Commenting at a daily press briefing in Washington on what she called "reports of a push for an ICC investigation", she said: "Our view is that we continue to strongly oppose unilateral actions that seek to circumvent or prejudge the very outcomes that can only be negotiated."
She continued: "We've been very clear that, while we've expressed concerns when we've had them, there is – the only realistic path for realising Palestinian aspirations of statehood is through direct negotiations between the parties."
Earlier on the same day, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad Al-Malki said he is optimistic that the latest ceasefire in Gaza will hold, even as Palestinians renewed efforts to bring Israel before the ICC.
"We expect the ceasefire to expand into another 72 hours and beyond," Al-Malki told reporters at a press conference at The Hague, where he met the ICC's chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda.
"We have heard that Israel has really committed itself to withdrawing… but it really depends on Israel and the seriousness of the Israeli side," Al-Malki said.
He also openly expressed that the Palestinian Authority is planning to bring Israel to the ICC over the massacres carried out in the Gaza Strip during the last four weeks.