The Israeli Knesset rejected two requests on Wednesday calling for an inquiry into the incidents in the Bedouin village of Umm Al-Hiran, including the killing of a 47-year-old teacher, Safa news agency has reported. The requests were submitted by Taleb Abu-Arar MK, of the Joint List, and Tamar Zandberg MK of Meretz.
The Knesset rejected the inquiry demands, with 42 MKs voting against, 22 in favour and three abstentions, said the Times of Israel.
Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan told the Knesset that while there are unanswered questions over the incidents, he remains certain that what Yakub Abul-Qi’an did was a “terror attack”.
The Arab-Israeli citizen was shot and killed by Israeli police and six others were wounded, including an Arab MK, in the incidents last week. Despite claims by the police that Abul-Qi’an drove his vehicle at a police officer and killed him before police opened fire on the car, a video on social media suggests that the 47 year-old was shot first, then lost control of the vehicle, hitting the officer in the process.